Thursday, October 15, 2009

They're speaking English, yet we can't understand them

Those English accents were so charming and pleasant, but these Scottish ones... well, it's just difficult to understand what people are saying. Anyway, as Ali said, we walked around the neighborhood last night, mostly checking out the menus of our nearby restaurants for prices - so far, we have found at least one other Chinese food place! (We found a Dominoes!!! And yes, we will be going there soon.) So in Berlin, where we stayed for 3 nights, we went to the same Mexican restaurant 3 nights in a row. Yep. Que Pasa. They knew us there. I even went there again during the day to read and have a tasty mango colada. Since then, we've been finding our new "Que Pasas" in each city. Just fyi :)

Oh, and before we all forget, I have a little anecdote from Rothenburg. We mentioned the crazy old lady in our room who was actually kind of adorable. The first night, I think she got mad at Ali for keeping the light on to read (it wasn't even that late). The next day, we 3 were going downtsairs to get train info, and she said something like, oh you're going out now, so you'll be getting in late, huh? Of course, that night, she was the one up the latest after we had all gone to bed, rustling around on her bed, going back and forth to her locker to her bag. Earlier that night, she asked Ali if she could borrow her "slippers," meaning her flip flops, to wear in the bathroom. Ali couldn't really say no, so she let her, but then the woman continued to wear them all evening, kept them by her bed over the night, and wore them again the next morning. I really need to work on my reactions, but I couldn't help but giggle every time she walked past in those "slippers" - I'd have to put my book in front of my face until she left the room. She was a sweet little woman, though, and I think she was genuinely sorry to see us go.

That's all for now, I think I've been hogging this computer a bit. We will do more pictures, ummm wait a minute, maybe not, well not from this computer at least. Soon. loveyoubye!

2 comments:

  1. have you tried the haggis today? i hear it's very good in edinburgh. please convey my warmest regards to the kinfolk of william wallace and all the fine people in the land of the gaels. if you can, please take a photo of the old course at st. andrews for sam. and thanks for your email. hope to talk with you on saturday. oklovealwaysbye, nora's dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not tried the haggis, yet... it doesn't sound entirely appealing, but I am very curious about it.

    ReplyDelete